Pages

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Soft Touch Holly Bonsai

This is a 1 gallon Soft Touch Holly I purchased at The Home Depot. Not much to get excited about at first, however after pruning I think this tree turned out very interesting.

I removed all the soil and pruned the roots very heavy. The heat of the summer is not the best time for this but I gave it lots of water and it has done well. I decided to use sphagnum moss as the growing medium for this tree instead of dirt. It drains very well and retains some moister. I was very impressed!
I wanted to try my luck with a exposed root around stone design. As the canopy of this tree fills out I think it will be a great little tree.

My daughter Olivia loves helping me and has taken a great interest in the bonsai trees. She wanted a picture with the new tree. I love it!

1 comment:

  1. Been trying to identify a plant I acquired recently. I think this is it. Same leaves and branch structure. Thanks for sharing. What happened to it?

    ReplyDelete